immunizations and vaccines
These are the vaccines needed for all students in the State of Maine to be considered up to date. These requirements are the law. Students will not be allowed to attend after the first day of the 2020-2021 school year without proof of the vaccines or a signed exemption. The law will change to allow only medical exemptions as of September 1st, 2021.
Number of Doses and Immunizations Required
- 5 DPT (4 if the 4th dose is given after the 4th birthday)
- 1 Tdap Booster for all students entering 7th grade (NEW 2017)
- 4 Polio (OPV or IPV, 3 if 3rd dose was given after the 4th birthday)
- 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
- 1 Varicella/Chicken Pox (or proof of immunity/history of disease
- 1 Meningococcal (MCV vaccine) for all students entering 7th grade (new 2018)
- 2 Meningococcal (MCV vaccine) for all students entering 12th grade (new 2018)
- *** One 1 MCV needed if first done is given after the age of 16
Each immunization entry must include:
- Vaccine type, date administered and the name of the provider
- Often the nurses can access immunization records from the Maine Immunization Registry also known as IMMPACT
- Parents must supply the needed information if the registry records are incomplete or not available
- You can ask your child's healthcare provider to fax immunization records to the Health Office: 207-778-3564
Vaccines are FREE for children in Maine. Contact your health care provider's office.
What if your want your child to be excluded from the immunization requirement?
- A parent may request an exemption from any or all of the required immunizations based on medical reasons or sincere religious or philosophical beliefs
- Students who are not fully immunized may need to be excluded from school if there is an outbreak of disease. This will be done according to recommendations by the Maine Centers for Disease Control (Maine CDC)
- A written parent request for immunization exemption must be completed each school year. You can download a copy of the immunization request form below.
What if you have questions?
- Contact your child's health care provider
- Contact your child's school nurse - RSU 9 School-Based Nursing Staff